SACRAMENTO - Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez (D-Los Angeles) today announced the appointment of the following members to the Academic Content Standards Commission:
- Heather Calahan, Lecturer and Executive Director of the Curtis Center for Mathematics and Teaching at UCLA
- Robert Ellis, a 1st grade teacher in the West Contra Costa Unified School District
- Bruce Grip, a high school teacher in the Chaffey Joint Union High School District and Vice President of the Southern Section of the California Mathematics Council
- Patricia Sabo, a middle school teacher in the Healdsburg Unified School District
- Charles Weis, Santa Clara County Superintendent of Schools and President of the Association of California School Administrators
The Academic Content Standards Commission was created by SB 1 (Steinberg, 5th Ex Session) and is charged with developing, and presenting to the State Board of Education, new content standards in language arts and mathematics. According to the law, at least 85 percent of these new standards are required to be the national common core standards released earlier today by the interstate collaborative led by the National Governors Association and the Council of Chief State School Officers.
“This is a great day for California’s students and for students nationwide,” said Speaker Pérez. “These five individuals will each bring expertise, experience and, most importantly, a passion for the highest quality teaching and learning to the standards development process. The national standards that will form the core of California’s new standards set new benchmarks for rigor and for deep learning. They will spur the development of higher quality textbooks, curricula, and assessments and will help California’s students successfully compete with our national and global competitors.”
“Now that the national standards have been released and the Assembly and Senate have made their appointments to the Commission, I look forward to the Governor making his appointments so the Commission may convene and begin its critical task immediately,” Speaker Pérez concluded.
SB 1 requires the Commission to complete its work by July 15 and the State Board of Education to take final action on the new content standards by August 2.
Website of Speaker John A. Pérez: www.asmdc.org/speaker
CONTACT: Shannon Murphy (916) 319-2408