(Sacramento) – Yesterday the Assembly Democratic Caucus voted unanimously to support Assemblymember John A. Pérez (D-Los Angeles) to serve as the next Speaker of the State Assembly. Today Assemblymember Pérez spoke with the media about his selection by the Caucus to follow Karen Bass as Speaker of the California State Assembly. A floor vote is expected when the Assembly reconvenes in January.
At this morning’s news conference Assemblymember Pérez began with the following statement:
Good morning and thank you all for being here today.
I am honored and humbled to have received the unanimous endorsement of the Democratic Caucus to be the next Speaker of the California State Assembly.
Exactly one year ago last week, I was sworn in as the Assemblymember representing the people of the 46th District. My service began in a historic year where the Legislature was called upon to make some very difficult choices forced upon us by the global financial crisis.
I had intended to continue my service in a capacity other than Speaker, but ultimately decided to run after a significant number of my colleagues asked me to accept their draft for Speaker. California continues to face enormous challenges, and I believe that any Californian who is called to service must answer that call with enthusiasm and dedication worthy of our state.
I am grateful and humbled by the confidence of my colleagues who have asked me to shoulder the awesome responsibilities of helping guide California through these stormy times. My first, last and only consideration is to serve the People of California as we address the critical financial and structural issues facing our State.
Obviously the budget is going to be the major priority for this year, as we’re staring yet another 20 billion dollar deficit in the face. But we can’t solve the budget crisis without addressing the serious structural issues putting a stranglehold on California government. Reform needs to be central to any long term recovery, and I look forward to working with my Democratic and Republican colleagues in implementing those reforms.
Assemblymember Pérez’s website: http://www.asm.ca.gov/jperez
Here are links to audio of Assemblymember Pérez:
- Assemblymember Pérez’s opening statement to the media. (1:46)
- Assemblymember Pérez talks about the need to reform California’s government. (:54)
- Assemblymember Pérez says the Race to the Top legislation approved by the Assembly yesterday puts California in the best position to receive federal education funding. (:44)
- Assemblymember Pérez says dealing with the state’s budget woes will require an open, honest conversation where every option is on the table.(:37)
- Assemblymember Pérez talks about how he got started in politics and what experience he brings to the office. (1:33)
- Audio of entire news conference. (18:07)
Contact: John Vigna (916) 319-2046